What Do I Do If I Am Caught with an Ounce of Marijuana?

“What Do I Do If I Am Caught With An Ounce Of Marijuana?” This question is no longer nearly as clear-cut as it once was. As public opinion (and subsequently the laws) about marijuana possession are currently changes, it can be confusing to know how much (if any) marijuana you can lawfully hold, and what your rights are under the law if you happen to get caught in control of this controversial substance.

While the laws governing marijuana possession and use vary widely from state tostate, it’s important to remember that under federal law, possession of marijuana in any amount is still considered a crime, no matter where in medicinalthe country you live.  For example, if you happen to be in Colorado or Washington state, it is now legal under state law for persons over age 21 to posses an ounce or less of marijuana in these states; but the federal government can still technically charge you with misdemeanor possession, resulting in up to $1000 in fines and up to a year in prison if convicted. Granted, the odds are in your favor that the federal government won’t override the state on your account, but you should still be aware of the risks involved. (And crossing state lines with marijuana will definitely raise some flags.)

Here in Georgia, however, the laws concerning marijuana possession and use are among the strictest in the nation. Possession of less than an ounce is considered a misdemeanor for the first two offenses.  However, if you are caught with an ounce or more of marijuana, you will most likely be charged with a felony; if convicted, you could face up to 10 years and prison and more than $1000 in fines. If you are convicted for possessing any amount of marijuana in Georgia, you will also have your driver’s license suspended for at least 6 months.

If you get caught with an ounce of marijuana, chances are you are facing felony charges, and you need an experienced attorney in your corner to represent your interests. For legal help in facing criminal charges such as marijuana possession or other offenses, contact the Federal Criminal Law Center today.